POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : re: Jim Charter's 2007 : Re: Jim Charter's 2007 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jim Charter's 2007
From: Shay
Date: 21 Jan 2008 18:15:26
Message: <4795278e$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
 > I had that type of relationship with some of my uncles as well.  I
 > remember having at least a couple long talks with 2 of them in
 > particular (individually).  I could talk to them about things I
 > would never mention to my parents.  In fact, I believe that my
 > life probably would be quite different if I hadn't had those few
 > long conversations.

Then maybe I can do some good (do you remember the topics of these
conversations?), but I need to start by setting a better example.

I have been feeling pretty bad about something that happened a few
months ago. I was a real food Nazi when I worked in an office, but since
moving to outdoor employment, I have started to relax a bit, relying on
my job to keep me lean. That's wrong, because my job won't keep me
healthy, just healthy-looking (if you call a grown man at 160 lbs
healthy-looking). Anyway, I was recently at a party at my niece's
mother's house and was cutting a cake I had made when my niece walked
into the room. I offered her a piece, which she refused. I KNEW she was
refusing because she knows that she needs to improve on the junk food
diet on which she has been raised. She's not overweight, but she is
ahead of schedule. At 13, she weighs as much as my 33yo wife. I should
have refused the cake myself, especially since I knew why my niece was
refusing it. I should have said, "You're right, kid, f*** that cake.
Tastes like sh** anyway." I HAVE been that smart many times in the past,
but that day I wasn't. I cut myself a slice and ate it, leaving my
niece, as the one person in the room sane enough to try and take care of
herself, all alone. Naturally, she eventually succumbed and had a slice
herself.

Can't take back the past, but that is the last time anything like that
will happen. I need to think about these things because my wife and I
might have a kid ourselves. I don't want to live a lie (or a mostly, but
not completely true) in front of my kid. One of the artists I linked to
in my "Lucky to have seen it" post declares on her myspace page that she
is "interested in natural health, yoga, spirituality, healing, the
vedas, meditation ... and things of that nature," yet I saw her at the
bar smoking, drinking, and carrying around an ass through which I'm
quite sure many a cheeseburger had passed. I'm losing faith in people.
*I* have to BE what I want to see - want my kid to see - in the world.

  -Shay